First Assembly of God grew out of humble beginnings. The first gatherings in 1917 were cottage prayer meetings held in the home of L. E. and Violet Moore at 721 N. De Villiers Street. This group was first known as Holiness or Pentecostal people. A mere thirteen people gathered regularly and Rev. Andrew J. Martin was invited to preach on the weekends.
By 1918 a building was acquired at “F” and La Rua Streets and others were added to the church. As the group grew they moved to “12th” and Salamanca Streets and even met in an old street car barn at the corner of De Villiers and Gadsden Streets. These were turbulent days of persecution. The Pentecostal message was resisted and on one occasion Rev. Martin was physically dragged from the pulpit by an angry mob of men and threatened with hanging. After several other incidents that required intervention by the police, Governor Sidney J. Catzarkatz was call to Pensacola to settle the matter.
The Assemblies of God was formed in April of 1914. On December 18, 1921, Rev. Martin applied for affiliation with the fledgling Pentecostal Fellowship and on January 12, 1922, First Assembly of God was officially associated with the General Council of the Assemblies of God.
In 1931 the church purchased property on the corner of Garden and M Streets and for the next 49 years experienced growth and development that required many renovations and additions to the original church structure.
Under the leadership of Rev. Edwin Barg the church purchased property for the current location at 12th Avenue and Bayou Boulevard. In June of 1980 the church dedicated the spectacular edifice that occupies that corner today.
Through many years of growth, great leadership, faithful members, and yes, even persecution, First Assembly of God still stands at the corner of 12th and Bayou Boulevard as an Oasis of Love for a hurting community.